- To develop creativity through a range of activities
- To enanble children to record from first hand experience and imagination
- Increase children’s awareness of the role and purpose of art and design in different times and cultures
- To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of visual arts.
- To enable children to develop Scientific skills concepts through practical exploration discussion and knowledge
- To ask and answer scientific questions
- Know and understand the physical processes of materials electricity light sound and natural forces
- Know and understand the life processes of living things
- Plan and carry out scientific investigations
- To develop children’s interest in the past
- To develop a sense of chronology
- To know and understand how Britain is part of a wider European and world culture
- To develop children’s understanding of society and so that they develop a sense of their own and other’s cultural heritage
- To develop children’s skills of historical enquiry investigation analysis evaluation and presentation
- To enable children to gain knowledge and understanding of places in the world
- To increase children’s knowledge of other cultures and in so doing teach a respect and understanding of what it means to be a citizen in our multi cultural society.
- To allow children to learn graphic skills including how to use and interpret maps and navigational devices
- To enable children to know and understand environmental issues and sustainable development at a local regional and global level
Design & Technology
- To develop children’s creative thinking and to foster enjoyment satisfaction and purpose in designing and making
- To enable children to talk about how things work and to draw and model their ideas
- To encourage children to select appropriate tools and techniques for making products
Personalising the Saltaire Primary School curriculum
We are proud to be a diverse and outward looking school. We are located in the historic World Heritage village of Saltaire and so our curriculum reflects this unique opportunity for children’s learning in our school. Each year group plans a unit of work embedded in the context of Saltaire. Our Area Based Curriculum (ABC) ensures c children’s learning about Saltaire is progressive and spans different subject areas including History, Art, Geography, DT, English, Maths, ICT, RE and PSHCE.